We all know about common Halloween facts and traditions. Jack-O’-Lanterns are named after a man named Jack. Trick-or-Treating used to be a way to control vandalism on Halloween night. You know, the usual facts we hear every year. However, there are some quite interesting facts that I just learned recently and I found them fascinating. I put together a quick post to share these facts with you. Read the points below and save them for some great Halloween conversation starters!
- In earlier Trick-or-Treating customs, visitors would have to dance before getting their treats or goods. I think I’m going to try instituting this rule at my house this year.
- Masks were made from animal skins and horse heads in past eras. Ohhh boy… no thank you. How happy are you that we live in this time after reading that?
- Halloween was once as romantic as Valentine’s Day is today. A variety of traditions revolved around finding your significant other. Since everyone was out looking for his or her soulmate, people would mingle and get together on the idea of romance.
- The mask Mike Myers wore in the movie Halloween was actually a $2 Captain Kirk mask. Somehow a killer wearing William Shatner’s face is much more terrifying!
- The famous magician Harry Houdini died on Halloween night in 1926. That will be 9 decades next Halloween!
- Silly String is illegal in Hollywood on Halloween night. Apparently it was so bad one year they had to set a strong penalty to discourage people from buying or using silly string during this time. The consequences are the same as littering, and they’re strictly enforced. Anyone caught possessing, purchasing, or using silly string is subject to a $1000 fine or six months of jail time!
- A full moon on Halloween is as rare as it is cool. Unfortunately, we won’t have another one for five years. The next Halloween full moon will be October 31, 2020